If you adore your plants then plant propagation is the best way to increase your garden population. Before doing this plant propagation we first need to know what is propagation. Plant propagation is the process of creating new baby plants out of some existing mature mama plants and it’s affordable. way to fill up your house full plants just based on what you’ve already got.
To do plant propagation you don’t necessarily need to go and buy anything. one of the reasons to do this is, it’s just such a rewarding feeling to see that you’re kind of creating a new life. This will help you to learn the propagation of 5 indoor plants.
The pothos looks beautiful. the way it’s leaves fall out of a pot if it’s hanging on the ceiling or the way it cascades down the side of a surface.
- Select a long pothos vine for the propagation.
- Give it a cut just at a point below where a leaf is coming out of the vine.
- The next thing you need to do is find the nodes on the vine. it is easy to find the nodes. you will just have to look where a leaf is coming out from the vine, and you will be able to notice the node there.
- Take some sharp scissors or knife and make a cut about one centimeter on either side of a node.
- Repeat this all the way up the vine.
- Don’t pluck the leaves.
- Once the trimming of the vine is done keep aside the unwanted pieces and select only the piece which has nodes.
- The trimmed part will have nodes and leaves.
- Dunk this trimming into the water. make sure that the nodes stay submerged into the water, as the roots will grow from these nodes.
- Wait for the roots to grow.
- Regularly top the vessel with water, as with time you will notice that the water level in the vessel drops, as the plant is using it up and as it evaporates. More important is, once a week completely drop the water from the vessel and fill it with fresh water. The reason behind this is tap water has some oxygen in it and the roots of plants need oxygen in order to grow.
- Place this vessel in such a place where it will get a good amount of sunlight and somewhere that’s preferably a little bit warmer.
- Keep it away from window sills because that’s a lot of fluctuating temperature.
- Potting pothos is quite straightforward. Once the roots are about two centimeters or inches they are good to plant in the soil.
- Before potting them into the soil, prepare the soil.
- Moisten the soil properly before potting the pothos. do not wet the soil, just moist enough that it kind of sticks together.
- Once you have added the water into the soil, give it a mix and get to the point where it sticks together a bit.
- Select an inner pot that has holes on the bottom which is incredibly important, so that the pot will be able to drain the water out to prevent rotting of the roots.
- Transfer the moist soil into the inner pot.
- Take the cuttings of pothos and plant them together into the pot. This is because not all the cutting may grow, some might die.
- After planting, pour a little bit of water on the soil.
- For the first couple of weeks, keep the soil moist to promote the roots to continue to grow and to just get used to their environment.
within a few months you will have a lot of success with it. it will go great, and you will end up with a plant that’s going to grow its own vines.
2. String of hearts
It is a beautifully delicate plant. if you want to propagate this plant; the steps are the same as that of pothos. take the vine from the mother plant and give it a snip on the vine somewhere around the halfway point. once this is done put it straight into the water. the node again is where the roots are going to come from. but if we put the node in the water with the leaf; with that leaf being submerged that’s actually going to rot, so one of the major or main differences here with this plant is that we need to actually take the leaf at the node and just pluck it off. we just need to create a naked node, and that is what we are going to submerge into the water.
- Wait for about three to four weeks for this vine to root.
- If you want, you can even just keep it in the decorative glass, jar, or vase and put it on the shelf without potting it into the soil.
- But if you feel that you need to put them into the soil; then once it starts to root you are ready to pot them.
- Take the inner pot and make sure that it has holes at the bottom.
- Fill it with moist soil and plant the vine. keep the soil moist for a couple of weeks.
3. Monstera Deliciosa
This plant is a beautiful and expensive plant. nowadays this plant is rising in popularity. If you already have this plant at home then you can make more from it by propagating them. The main thing about monstera is that you should know where to cut. to identify the node in this plant is not difficult, when you observe the plant you will be able to see two stems coming out of the single junction and that’s where will be the node, the other way to know where the node is that, very often there will be root already coming out from it and on the monstera, this root is called as aerial roots.
- Make a cut about one or two centimeters below the node.
- There are two options to propagate this plant, either put it in the large volume of water and for the roots to grow to transplant it into the soil or directly plant it into the soil.
- To plant them directly into the soil, take a large pot with holes below them for drainage.
- Add some pre-moistened soil into the pot.
- Create a large hole in the center of the soil and plant the cutting into the soil and tuck the aerial root. If you want then you can even put the plant into a nice decorative pot.
4. Pulley or pancake plant:
Propagating this plant is pretty easy. for this plant to propagate you don’t have to look for any node, instead what happens is when the plant matures in the soil, small baby plants start to come out in the soil around the mature plant. All you have to do is just gently pop this plant out, from the soil along with roots. transplant these baby plants into the moist soil.
5. ZZ plant
ZZ plant is a beautiful plant that has thick gorgeous green leaves. It’s a really good plant for anyone who is a beginner because it kind of tolerates low light situations. there are ways of propagating this plant.
- One method is that you can actually just cut one of the stems from the bottom and when you do that then just plonk it in some water and it’ll grow some roots and then you can put it into some soil.
- The second way that you can propagate this plant is through a process called division. the plant grows from the thick bulbs just underneath the soil called rhizomes and these rhizomes hold some water in it. in this case, you just have to pull them out, make sure you get some of the roots, one or two of the rhizomes, at least some stems and some leaves.
- Grab one pot, fill it with pre-moist soil, and plant the pulled out part of the plant into the pot.
- Spread some fresh soil on top to bury the rhizomes. After planting, put it in the outer pot just for decoration.
- Water them regularly for its recovery, and after some weeks you will notice the growth of new baby stems and leaves indicating their perfect growth.
Propagation is a fun little activity that you can do from home. propagation is better done in the warmer environment because in warm weather roots grow at a faster rate.